[Gambas-user] WebPage support in Gambas

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Mar 19 18:16:57 CET 2012

On 03/19/2012 12:50 PM, John Spikowski wrote:
> (tokenized) scripts. An efficient client / server environment is
> paramount if dynamic applications is your web goal. If all you care
> about is displaying static pages, pretty much anything will do.

You're right, and while Gambas doesn't have its own built-in web server
(as far as I know, though it'd be about 10 lines of code to write a
simple single-purpose one), it works fine with thttpd or lighttpd or any
other small-footprint server that implements CGI.  As do perl, ruby and
the other CGI options, as well as your own ScriptBasic.

What Gambas currently lacks and the others have (don't know about
Scriptbasic, but there are many for perl and ruby, the best known being
Ruby on Rails) is a framework for writing rich web apps using jQuery and
similar tools, which is what I was proposing in my earlier post on the
topic.

Getting back to your original question, how do you handle distributing
the ScriptBasic interpreter to people? I can't find it in the Ubuntu
repositories; do you provide some kind of single-file executable
functionality?

Rob