[Gambas-user] Probem analysing Desktop path

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Tue Mar 6 20:51:48 CET 2012

On di, 2012-03-06 at 20:34 +0100, Matti wrote:
> Willy,
>
> The easiest solution to store some infos would be to use gb.settings.
> Then you don't have to care about directories at all, gambas does it for you,
> and you can read/write the infos very easily.
> See http://gambasdoc.org/help/comp/gb.settings
> But I don't know what you store in your SystemInfo.txt, maybe this is not
> practicable.

That would not be practical. The SystemInfo.txt is a file that provides
system information (like window manager used, desktop used, gambas
version, gambas path, and a lot more) and error information (when an
error occurs) from systems the application run on.

For example: I have some problems not related to my application but
related to Gambas version runtime installed (gbx2 < 2.22 gives problems)
on the users system.
Solution when I get a SystemInfo.txt from him would be upgrade runtime
to version 2.22 or 2.23. Understand the reason.
I have some other problem related only on certain distros with KDE for
example.
This systeminfo text is central in my error reporting system as it tells
me a lot about the behaviour of my application on different distros,
desktops and so on. Really useful to me.

> If so, why do you want to use "~/Desktop" by all means? Why not make a directory
> "~/.YourApp" and store the SystemInfo.txt there? So it would be the same on
> every system?

Putting the file on the desktop makes it easy for the user to find and
send back to me. We are talking end users here, so it needs to be easy
for them. That is why.

I was hoping for something like on Widows (%desktop%) which always works
no matter what language, but I guess there is no sort of equivalent that
works on all linux distros. At least I could not find it.

Thanks for thinking along

Willy