[Gambas-user] Probem analysing Desktop path

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Tue Mar 6 17:37:29 CET 2012

Rolf,

On my system I installed English OS with Dutch language.
No problem "~/Desktop" is there.

On a system of a friend of mine he installed Dutch OS with Dutch
language. And that seems to be the difference.
The is NO "~/Desktop", instead ls at command returns
"~/Bureaublad" (Dutch for desktop)

When changing code to:
If Exist(User.Home & "/Desktop") Then
  sPath = User.Home &  "/Desktop/SystemInfo.txt"
Else
  If Exist( User.Home & "/Bureaublad") Then
     sPath = User.Home&  "/Bureaublad/SystemInfo.txt"
  Endif
Endif

It works fine on his sytem and on mine.

I was thinking about using the internationalisation and do something
like:

Dim sDesktop, sPath As String
sDesktop = ("Desktop")
If Exist (User.Home & "/" & sDesktop) Then
  sPath = User.Home & "/" & sDesktop & "/SystemInfo.txt"
Endif

But this will NOT work on my system as OS has "/Desktop" folder and
because of language Dutch installed, Gambas application would look for
"Bureaublad" in my case, which I don't have on my system.
So this would not work for all situations and makes it even worst.

I also run into the .desktop file doing research on the matter, but it
seems to be a KDE thing. I'm on Gnome and no .desktop file found there.

Thanks for thinking along. At least I can now implement 3 languages for
Desktop :-) not that it solves the problem.