[Gambas-user] Gambas has Gosub now!

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Mar 4 01:05:52 CET 2012

Hi,

I have just succeeded (I think) in implementing the old Basic GOSUB
instruction in Gambas in revision #4530.

I did that, because it is faster than using a plain little function, if
you just need to call a small piece code without needing a specific
context nor arguments.

The syntax is the same as the GOTO instruction (with the same
restrictions on the label):

	GOSUB <label>

To return from a GOSUB, you must use the RETURN instruction alone.

	<label>:
         RETURN

Consequently, you cannot use RETURN to return from a subroutine if there
is a pending GOSUB. A little annoyance.

If the function end (or a CATCH instruction) is encountered, the
function is ended like before, even if there are pending GOSUB. In other
words, returning from a GOSUB is always explicit.

Enjoy it!

--
Benoît Minisini