[Gambas-user] A bit of good news! (Relates to override, native classes, etc)

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Wed Jun 27 15:40:37 CEST 2012

Thanks to everyone here that followed and contributed to the various
"native class overrides" threads and especially Benoit for the speedy
fix to issue 261 and for the profiler, I am really pleased to announce
the following:

We process about 30 to 250 text files a day (depending on the day of the
week), each of which contains between 200 to 1500 lines of generally
unstructured gibberish about horse auctions.  On big days this was
taking about 40 minutes.

Today I have run many tests over our sample data (2295 files) and thanks
to you all each run (over that whole set) is now taking between 22 and
34 seconds.

Yes, you did read that right! 40 minutes for a couple of hundred down to
30 seconds for a couple of thousand!

Settle down though, I did mention that we did rewrite the entire parser
in a more sensible manner.  So you all can only claim about 50% of that.
(One thing the profiler showed up was that we were reloading the same
row from the database n-thousand times.  Thanks there to Benoit for his
re-introduction of the average times in the profiler!)

I am so impressed with gambas that I could just... metaphors fail me!

One thing worries me still. :-) You didn't think you'd get out of this
that easily did you?

I tend to (lazily) use

        Dim aLines as new String[]
        sText = File.Load(<path>)
        aLines = Split(sText,"\n")

that Split seems to take a time that looks suspiciously like an
exponential function of the number of actual lines in the file as
opposed to a linear function. It could be that I'm looking at a lumpy
sample (even over 2295 files) but has anyone seen anything like that
before?

Oh, and (finally) while I'm on that track, I have hacked the profiler
form up to be able to save the profile data and reload a saved profile,
so I can compare one run with another.  It is much too messy to commit
currently but if there would be any interest in such a thing I could
clean it up and submit it.

best regards
Bruce