[Gambas-user] Fw: Package creation failed to include gambas dependencies.

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ...247...
Sat Jun 23 01:01:12 CEST 2012

Quick comments (before I re-build and test)

2) IDE depends on gb.form.stock. Seems logical but will have no impact
on distributed app which uses only the runtime + components. I presume
this measure is to make the IDE requirement explicit and stop us
relying on the stealthy dynamic load-on-demand.

1) check it if you know that you need it. Ah, that sounds perfect.
Presumably the packager wizard will detect the selection and include
the "requires" line in the package spec - problem solved.

Should the error be ignored?
(a) NO - Running an application on a system with only the runtime and
a subset of components, where gb.form.stock is missing, only the error
message is guaranteed to give an indication of what is wrong.
 - It is an error, albeit probably non-fatal, and gb.form.stock will
be flagged as a requirement IF we have checked its box in the project.
It might be a good idea to have the IDE check the box for us if it
detects that some stock icons are in use in the project.
- Do we ignore any other dependency errors?

(b)YES - The missing images will not prevent an application from running.

Looks like I have more reasons to keep the error than to ignore it!

On the subject of auto-checking the "stock" checkbox, perhaps the
logic is that a practised user may just type in the appropriate path
to a stock image in the properties sheet, or apply it in the program
and would be more likely to know that the gb.form.stock component must
be explicitly included in the project. A less experienced user may
click on the browse button and get to the image through the wizard and
discover later that the wizard had also checked the gb.form.stock
component option on his/her behalf. That would be ... intelligent.
...and cool!

Richard