[Gambas-user] Access global variable from other .class

tobi tobiasboege01 at ...1601...
Mon Jun 18 19:28:59 CEST 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 18/06/2012 19:15, Jussi Lahtinen a écrit :
> >> Maybe it would be possible to write a graphical su entirely in Gambas?
> >> The first difficulty I see is how to know if we must use 'su' or 'sudo'
> >> to run the command...
> >>

> > I have never run into need for su, I always use sudo.
> > Example in Ubuntu as default, you cannot do "su root".
> > So su is useful only if you need to change to some other user, but the
> > keyword in Gambas is RunAsRoot.
> >
> > Is there something where sudo would fail?
> >
> > Jussi
>
> Some systems do not use sudo. Maybe they find it unsecure.
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

So, it was talked about a pure Gambas way of asking for the password. To address Benoît's recent
thought: Why not have a form like this:

+Run as Root---------------------+
|                                |
| Choose method: [ComboBox:    ] |
|                 | Sudo      |  |
|                 | Su        |  |
|                                |
| Password: [TextBox...        ] |
|                   [Button: OK] |

This way, the experienced, aware user could choose (not really if it was detected by the class that
no "sudo" was found in PATH...) and the others most likely have sudo installed.
It would equally well end the discussion of the preferred graphical frontend - only disadvantage I
can see: in this draft, there is no configuration possible, except for the method of privilege
elevation.

Regards,
Tobi