[Gambas-user] Access global variable from other .class

Sat Jun 16 15:24:42 CEST 2012

> No, xdg-su is no longer part of xdg-utils.

Do you know reason for this?

> I have not used the xdg-su script for privilege escalation, but a quick
> (and I mean quick!) look through it at it stands is not going to be a
> great success.

Privilege escalation means exploitation, not use of intentionally
implemented feature to gain higher privileges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation

The fact is, there isn't and one of the major reasons is the old ongoing
> su/sudo argument and how certain distros implement their own policies
> regarding this.  (I don't intend on pursuing that argument further here)

Is there some desktop distro without graphical sudo!?

> GKSU/GKSUDO
> Pro: Easy to use, can handle complex command strings*, easy to configure
> the authorisation gui to suit
> Con: There are some security issues, the major one to me is that it
> escalates the current user's privilege, not the current process.

Not true if you use gksudo or gksu with -c.

Even more of an issue is that the escalation actually remains in force for a
> period of time after the gksu command is finished.

It is applied only if next commands are used also with sudo/etc.
Also this time is fully configurable, and if you want you can force it to
stop immediately with "sudo -k".

* a complex command string being something like
> 'cd /home/blah/blah;echo pwd; make install; echo "Success!"'

I think you mean 'cd /home/blah/blah;echo pwd; make install && echo
"Success!"'.
 ;)

Jussi