[Gambas-user] C like #include for Gambas

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Sat Jun 9 16:00:47 CEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 13:51 +0100, jm wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 02:45 +0300, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
> > Maybe I'm just too tired, but I don't understand the point.

Jussi, maybe I'm just too old as well as tired, but I can't grasp the
point of taking an object oriented language and trying to jam an old
(albeit well tested) non-OO concept into it.

Joe, I am having some degree of trouble really understanding your value
proposition. Especially the last post (which I have snipped in entirety,
sorry). All I can grasp from reading it several times is that you feel
that #include has some productivity value in providing what we call
inheritance and polymorphism.

I am not trying to put you down but I really can't grasp the ideas of
"thousands" of parameters and "hundreds" of initialisations.

{ We, here at paddys-hill have tens of clients (well a few tens anyway )
that use a dozen or so applications, the code base encompasses around
two hundred or so classes and modules organized into around thirty
components and libraries.  The total code size is less than 25,000 lines
and I would guess that probably 60% or more of that is comments. At a
guess, the "largest" method calls would be 7 parameters, and they are
just convenience calls to a class constructor.  By far the "largest"
chunk of code is a library that downloads the text of around 40 web
pages a day (about 40,000 text lines), parses them, normalises them and
uploads them to the central database. I just checked and it's 6345 lines
of code, so about 2400 working lines, which are mainly involved in text
parsing (things like discerning "Mac Donald" and "MacDonald" or "Miss
Jane O'Donnel" and "Ms Jan ODonnell" are the same names). The primary
application that uses this library runs once a day and adds about 1200
rows to a central postgresql database and can update anywhere between 2
and 10,000 other rows.  It takes "about" 10 minutes.  The central
database has just over 3.2 million rows, the clients each have a
sub-mirrored database of who-knows-what size.}

Anyway, I hope you can see from the above {} that those numbers you are
using are fairly un-emotive to the reader.

regards
Bruce