[Gambas-user] C like #include for Gambas

Sat Jun 9 15:18:10 CEST 2012

> C thrives on #include without showing signs of design problems.

Yes, I know, I wasn't talking about C, I was talking about object oriented
language, Gambas.

> Tens of thousands of external lines of code can be pulled in with
> a dozen #include statements, leaving the code completely manageable,
> readable and a lot more powerful than any other competing method.

Yes, but you use #include with libraries, not with programs that aren't
designed for that.
Or you have design problem.

For example, in module_a.module you might have

> and in a file called initialise_csv_variables.include it would contain:
>
>  PRIVATE WordMarker1 AS Integer
>  :
>  '200 further variable declarations and initialisations
>  :
>  PRIVATE sParameterNameArray AS NEW String[MAXIMUM_CSV_PARAMETERS]
>  PRIVATE sParameterValueArray AS NEW String[MAXIMUM_CSV_PARAMETERS]
>
> The #include files can contain any amount of well trodden
> proven gambas code which is maintained in only one file.

So, basically you would add module/class called initialise_csv_variables,
and you use that module/class in modules a and b.

> I will argue that adding C like #include functionality saves a ton of
> work in mega programs which are already working well, but now
> needs to be expanded even further.

I don't understand how.
You would still need to write that initialise_csv_variables.include file,
you could as well write it as module/class.

Jussi