[Gambas-user] Timely reading of shell command output in process read event.

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ...247...
Sun Jul 15 03:19:14 CEST 2012

Hi Benoît, Bruce,

Yes, the READ and ERROR (and finally KILL) events are all raised as
expected, just not as often as I would want.

In another part of the program I use

JCap = Shell Command For Input Output As "Jack_Capture"

so that I can send it a gb.NewLine to control another mode of the
shell command. That has worked, though that mode has been only briefly
tested. I have spent the last few days on these Read events in what I
regard as the more common mode of use of the external command, and of
this Gambas front-end to the command.

jack_capture is a shell command by Kjetil S. Matheussen to record
audio in a large range of formats and with a large range of modes of
use. I am just trying to pull together a few of these with a simple
GUI to stop me having to look up the manual every time.

The Gambas program developed some disturbing unwanted behaviour as I
pushed it further and further and now I have started to strip it back
to basics to try to isolate the problem(s). I have got rid of the dbus
signal handling and my first attempt to automagically restore Jack
connections between recordings and that seems to have reduced the Jack
server's tendency to spew hundreds of complaints a second and
occasionally crash.

Now I am focussing on capturing the "communication" between
jack_capture's imaginary console and my program. I will switch to FOR
INPUT rather than READ and try again.

later...

Richard