[Gambas-user] File opening dialog and one more question

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Jan 5 21:23:14 CET 2012

Le 05/01/2012 12:35, M. Cs. a écrit :
> Hi,
> in G2 we had a file opening dialog which was identical as KDE's native
> one. It seems to be removed, or am I wrong? I would like to have that
> old one. It's more convenient with the system-wide bookmarks etc.

I'm not sure. But when you call Dialog.Open(), the standard Qt file
dialog is used (or the GTK+ one if you use gb.gtk). Then maybe Qt can
use the KDE dialog if it is present, but I don't think so.

In GB2, you had a gb.qt.kde component that uses the KDE3 dialog
automatically. In GB3, you don't have any KDE4 component, so you don't
have the KDE dialogs.

> And the question: I don't understand the STATIC word's meaning. Is it
> given to define a constant inside a class? What's the practical usage
> of it? I have to redesign my Gambas project, and I need to know the
> exact usage. The documentation didn't make it clear to me. I Know what
> Public and what Private is. Thanks!
>
> Csaba

"Static" means:

- For a variable, that the variable is stored in the class, not in any
object. So there is only one such variable. Its value does not depend on
the object.

- For a method (or a property), that the method cannot use any
non-static symbol (ME is NULL).

- For a constant, nothing, as a constant is always static (as its value
cannot change).

I hope it will be clear for you!

Benoît Minisini