[Gambas-user] restarting a gambas application

Zach Smith zachsmith022 at ...626...
Thu Jan 5 04:45:32 CET 2012

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM,  <zachsmith022 at ...626...> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to automatically close and restart a running gambas
> program?
>
> For example, if I have a program update available, I'd like to click a
> button in my program ("Install/Run update") that would start an intermediate
> program that would stop my program, then the intermediate program would
> overwrite the main program with an upgraded version, then it would start the
> upgraded program, and then the intermediate program would quit.  The problem
> is that by using the shell or exec commands a child process is created and
> the parent app. never quits.
>
> The thing I'm looking for would be somewhat similar to what happens when you
> run xfrun4 in Xfce.  There, you press Alt+F2 to bring up a command entry
> box, it then starts the program you have typed in and then xfrun4 quits.
>  There are no remaining parent/child issues.

I'm posting my own reply in case someone finds it useful.  Something
like this seems to do what I need:

Shell "nohup galculator > process.out 2> process.err < /dev/null &"

or simply,

Shell "nohup galculator &"