[Gambas-user] Naming/Renaming projects

Mon Feb 6 12:37:46 CET 2012

This is just minor IDE thing, but it confuses me each time I want to
start a new project. Guess this hasn't changed in Gambas3, correct me if
I'm wrong, I just can't check on this machine here at the moment.

In the dialog that asks for the project title and name, the explanations
for the two input fields don't make the purposes of the input texts
quite clear to me: Which one is for the directory, and which one means
the "internal" title for the project?

I do see a distinction here necessary, the directory name may be a brief
of the project title for instance. Or I want a directory name without
spaces ("new20") but a title that says "My new project 2.0". But each
time I start, I'm unsure what to type where, so I tend to type the same
thing (directory name) into both fields.

The second point is, when I want to open an existing project, I'm asked
for the directory, right? But the dialog is a file-opening one, so if
you don't know, you get confused here: Do I have to point to a concrete
file, or is it ok to point to a directory only?

Then there is a third thing which in turn has to do with my first issue:
I wanted to rename a project, making a new directory for it (i. e.
making a copy but also a new name). As I'm not sure what happens when I
change the name of the project from within the IDE (Save As asks for a
directory AND filename... so what do I need to give? Both? Only a
directory name? And what happens to the project title then?) I simply
made a copy and renamed it by hand.

the IDE title - not the old project title string. This made me think:
What do I have to give a project title for if it isn't used anyway :-)

So shouldn't these dialogs be thought over in terms of user
friendliness, what do you think?

Rolf