[Gambas-user] gb.task and the event loop?

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Dec 27 07:40:00 CET 2012

Le 23/12/2012 23:08, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> Hi Benoit,
>
> we have gb.task on our schedule now and I found two examples on the mailing
> list:
>
> - Olivier Cruilles: [0]
> - Ivan Kern:        [1]
>
> Well, the first one seems to be designed to do nothing (no Task-inheriting
> object is instantiated at all - I don't know if it did work the time it was
> written, though) but if one modifies it to create a Task, it is almost
> instantly killed; just as if the Main() was executed and no event loop kicks
> in, even if a Timer was created which, according to [2], compels the event
> loop.
>
> The second example, mainly listed for completeness, shows a workaround but
> not a really satisfying one if one would like to do something else than
> waiting.
>
> So, is (or "shall be") gb.task allow operation with the event loop? What's
> wrong with the first example (the modified one)?
>
> Regards,
> Tobi
>
> [0] http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/attachment/24430/0/gbTask-0.0.1.tar.gz
> [1] http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/attachment/17637/0/TaskTest.zip
>
> [2] http://gambasdoc.org/help/cat/eventloop?v3

Task are actually sub-processes run through the fork() system call. So
they can only communicate the main process with the standard
input/output streams. The event loop is only run in the main process.

--
Benoît Minisini