[Gambas-user] DesktopWatcher doesn't watch...

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ...247...
Tue Aug 28 20:21:19 CEST 2012

Wow, thanks for the results info. I have started to look at the
Desktop component implementation and I am only beginning to get a
trembling feel for what it uses to do what it does.

I'll study your response in greater detail but your two straws are
very similar to the ones I suspect are hiding my needle. The first
thing I checked was if there is a different behaviour on a single
screen X server. I used Xephyr for that, but perhaps even that was a
silly idea. In any event the behaviour did not change.

I was already beginning to think I should put the word out on the
Mageia forum to see if anyone understands why the method used to
detect LXDE in the xdg-settings script is failing and why the
environment includes XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=LXDE but nothing seems to be
using that XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP variable to detect the desktop. Seems
... perverse.

Anyway, there's an unofficial race on and you are in danger of giving
me an unfair advantage over Benoît. Or maybe not :-)

I'll be able to comment more sensibly when I have had my coffee and
crammed in a bit more study. Meanwhile S Africa is giving England a
lesson on how 50 over cricket should be played. Aren't they ever
satisfied?