[Gambas-user] Gambas for Android

John Spikowski support at ...2529...
Thu Aug 23 12:02:10 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 17:26 +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Benoît Minisini
> <gambas at ...1...> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why I had no problem with compiling Gambas on
> > Debian/RaspberryPI and you have problems to compile Gambas on Ubuntu
> > which is based on Debian. Or not?
> android is not based on Debian. It has a heavily-patched linux kernel
> and that's about where the connection with linux as we know it stops.
> The runtime is totally different: no standard C library, no X, etc. I
> think graphics is only available through their Java-based layer
> so even if you could get Gambas C++ code to compile to ARM you can't
> take Qt/GTK with you: so no graphics.
>
> Plus no package management system as we know it: so users would have
> to manually download and install gambas, then download and install
> whatever application.
>
> I suspect the only real solution is cross-compiling: i.e, turning
> Gambas code into the "dalvik" bytecode instead of gambas bytecode,
> plus reimplementing all the Gambas graphics and system APIs to the
> Android APIs. Doable, but a crapload of work (basically a full rewrite
> of gambas)
>
> I suspect it would be faster to wait for Ubuntu-based tablets and
> phones which apparently are coming out "soon" :-)
>
> Ian

With my attempt, Android Linux was only a host for my chroot Ubuntu
12.04 LTS ARM image that I was trying to compile Gambas 3 with. X11
services were provided by a Android VNC client. I use a bluetooth mouse
and keyboard which works great with both Android and Ubuntu ARM Linux.

Here is a screen shot if your interested.

http://files.allbasic.info/ScriptBasic/uxPC.png