[Gambas-user] Gambas for Android

John Spikowski support at ...2529...
Wed Aug 22 19:05:02 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 10:38 +0200, Girard Henri wrote:
> Le 22. 08. 12 10:24, Kevin Fishburne a écrit :
> > On 08/20/2012 05:05 PM, cfb95 wrote:
> >> Well,
> >> as Linux distro can run on android,
> >> Gambas must be work also!
> >> may be no need to port!
> >>
> >> i've run a very simple console program (gambas2)
> >> on my motorola xoom, and it work! 8-)
> >>
> >> The graphic front end of gamas2 not work on my tablet due to a bug
> >> (in gbx_math.c pow and powl when compiled for ARM).
> >> this bug is fixed in Gambas3 as it not use long double at all.
> >>
> >> For running a linux distro on android someone have found the key: chroot!!!
> >>
> >> i've used this info:
> >> http://trsohmers.com/2011/03/06/how-to-run-ubuntu-on-the-motorola-xoom/
> >>
> >> with this method, we have android and linux running at the same time over same
> >> kernel and sharing devices.
> > If Gambas 3 and component libraries could run on Android then Gambas
> > would become the language of choice for Android developers, hands down.
> As cyanogen (android 4) works fine on hptouchpad then gambas3 could run
> on hptouchpad too !

I tried to get Gambas 3 running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ARM as a chroot
image hosted by Android Linux. The auto* tools need to be built from
scratch as their not available from repositories. Qt may be a problem
and the MySQL server install is a mess.

There is progress with a X11 client for Android on Play but I don't
think it's mature enough to support Gtk or Qt.

I think this is a worthy challenge and when all the planets align,
Gambas should be a star.