[Gambas-user] About library and component packaging in Gambas 3

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Sat Apr 28 15:38:32 CEST 2012

On za, 2012-04-28 at 15:26 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm continue in fixing problems in library and component packaging. Here
> are the last news...
>
> Since revision #4687, there is now a project type option in the project
> properties dialog, which allows to make the difference between a normal
> project, a library and a component.

Great going,
I'm looking forward to a test run this evening.

> What are the differences between the three types?
>
> 1) LIBRARY
>
> - There is a library/component properties dialog.
> - No icon is packaged.
> - No menu entry is defined in the package.
> - The package name is "projectname-X.Y.Z" where "X.Y.Z" is the version.
> - The vendor can be added as a prefix optionally.
> - The package has dependencies on other components and libraries checked
> in the project properties dialog.
>
> 2) COMPONENT
>
> - There is a library/component properties dialog.
> - No icon is packaged.
> - No menu entry is defined in the package.
> - If the project has control icons, they are packaged.
> - The package name is "gambas-vendor-projectname-X.Y.Z" where "X.Y.Z" is
> the version.
> - The vendor prefix is mandatory, it is "gb" by default.
> - The package has no dependencies on other components and libraries.
> This is supposed to be managed directly by the IDE. Components are a
> special beast that should be included directly in Gambas sources.
>
> 3) NORMAL PROJECT
>
> - There is no library/component properties dialog.
> - The "make executable" dialog can create a desktop shortcut automatically.
> - The packager has an icon and a menu entry.
> - The package name is "ProjectName-X.Y.Z" where "X.Y.Z" is the version.
> - The vendor can be added as a prefix optionally.
> - The package has dependencies on other components and libraries checked
> in the project properties dialog.
>
> Please try it and give your remarks!

Clearly explained and I'll get back to you later.

Many thanks as I can use this very well.
This really boosts up possibilities being able to decently  distribute
libraries.

Willy