[Gambas-user] gambas3 library pathes

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Apr 27 04:39:05 CEST 2012

Le 25/04/2012 21:31, Willy Raets a écrit :
> On wo, 2012-04-25 at 20:55 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> dpkg -i testlibapp_0.0.1-1_all.deb
>
> Hi Benoît,
>
> Tried it with little success. Still complains about mylib not being
> installed. see attached screenshot.
> Does it work on your distribution. I attached the Ubuntu packages so you
> can try yourself (if on Ubuntu based distro). Already send source in
> other mail.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Willy

Hi,

I finally succeeded in understanding what happens on Debian/Ubuntu.

First there was a bug of mine which included the version number inside
the package name when defining dependencies. Bad idea... Now it is fixed.

But now comes how Debian compares version number (I will call that
"Debian cretinism" now).

In the Gambas packager, you can name your package with the major & minor
version number (MyLib-0.0) or with the major, the minor and the release
number (MyLib-0.0.1). The first one is the default.

Debian adds its own debian release number by default which is "1" and a
minus sign just before.

So your library is named "mylib-0.0-1".

The dependency keeps the three version number: "mylib > 0.0.0, mylib <<
0.0.90". Note that Gambas assumes that all release between 0 and 90 are
compatible - Which is stupid too and I will change that.

But when comparing "0.0-1" with "0.0.0", Debian compares the "." with
the "-", and decides that "0.0-1" < "0.0.0" (or "0.0-1" > "0.0.90") !
Arrgh !

At the moment, you can solve that by checking "Insert release number in
package version" when generating the MyLib package.

In the future (soon), I will remove this option, and always use the
entire version for package numbers.

I hope I was clear enough (it's very late).

Benoît Minisini