[Gambas-user] gambas3 library pathes

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Sat Apr 21 06:36:38 CEST 2012

On vr, 2012-04-20 at 19:32 -0700, John Spikowski wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-04-21 at 04:17 +0200, Willy Raets wrote:
>
> > I couldn't and still can't find documentation on how to use and
> > distribute a library written in Gambas.
> >
> > Willy
>
> It would be great if Gambas developed applications could be made
> available without the user of the application having to become a Gambas
> expert.

That is exactly the trouble.

I would like to distribute a Gambas3 application to end users. The
application uses a library built in Gambas3.

How do I package so all works for the end user upon install.
I have tried all kinds of ways, looked all over the net and came up with
nothing. I've been on this for months now starting of with a component
later trying it as a library :-(

Having a library works great for me as a developer, no problem. But that
is where it ends on my PC and not where I want it on the end user PC,
who has no IDE and is no developer.

Even when I put the gambas executable being the library in /usr/bin.
When I package an application that uses this library (with this path)
that runs fine in debug run, and install it on the same system it won't
install because it can't find the depended library!!(excuse me but that
library is right there in the /usr/bin and never moved at all!!)

Tried it as a component and installing the component on the system for
development gives no problem. Using it on the development system in
applications I develop, no sweat. But then try distributing the
application using the component. Another hell I haven't managed to get
through.

Packaging the component, installing it on the target PC and then
installing the application that requires the component always end up the
installation not being able to install because the required component
(that is already installed on the system) can't be found !!!

Dependencies...dependencies...all installed on the system but never to
be found by the installation mechanism somehow or I am completely
misunderstanding the whole mechanism because of a lack of descent
documentation on the matter. A simple 'how to' with some general steps
would probably do the trick...