[Gambas-user] [Feature Request] Offline Documentation

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Thu Apr 19 17:18:19 CEST 2012

HTTtrack can be used to download the docs from the web. As
Demosthenes explained it
simply copies the site to a local directory and modifies all links so they
work locally. What is needed in the IDE is code to check at startup for a
web connection and if it exists, use the online version. If it doesn't use
the local version. Or you could give the user a configuration setting in
the IDE to switch back and forth.

I haven't checked but if the web pages contain a publishing date or version
number one could use that to check for the latest version of the site.
Again, you could also simply give the user a menu item in the IDE to
download newer pages from the site.

I don't have time at this moment to pursue this. In fact my work on the gsl
component has stalled due to work demands. But I am trying to stay up to
date by reading the posts here when I can. This is a feature that is truly
needed in the IDE. I think a system could be developed that would minimize
the efforts on both the documentation writers and Benoit if the system
simply used the web content. Perhaps on the first run the program could ask
if you want to download docs from the web. Visual Studio does this...

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Demosthenes Koptsis <demosthenesk at ...626...
> wrote:

> On 04/19/2012 09:24 AM, John Spikowski wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 08:09 +0200, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> >> Could you explain this a bit more in detail?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Rolf

> the

> it
> just
> > Can't you use the Gambas browser control and view the HTML/image files
> > on the local hard disk? You don't need a web server for that. As long as
> > your internal links use relative paths, it should work just fine.

> The wget command i wrote and every web copier like httptrack convert the
> links on every page to local relative links.
> So if you open the main index.html page locally all links are converted
> to local files you downloaded.

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?