[Gambas-user] Gambas3 & andLinux on WinXP

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Thu Apr 12 16:11:00 CEST 2012

I too use vbox mostly on linux hosts but I also run it on my laptop and one
Windows XP desktop. The Laptop is Windows Vista. The only time I have had
an issue with it running slowly was when I used to much memory. Make sure
you have sufficient memory for both OS's. I've got 3gb and still run vista
as host and ubuntu 10 as guest on vbox. However, it is not as fast as on my
64gb machine using Ubuntu 11 host and WIndows ( XP, Vista, 7) guests. Here
there is no noticeable difference between running these OSs directly on the
hardware.

I'd be looking at memory and memory management first then check out other
possible issues.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Bruce Bruen <bbruen at ...2308...> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 12:58 +0200, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> > Am 09.04.2012 12:09, schrieb Randall Morgan:
> > > I've used virtualbox from Sun Micro for my Windows Vista and 7 laptops
> > > run Linux. Makes it simple and takes up only a little more space.
> > >

> > Though it's slightly off-topic here :-) I don't hesitate to ask back
> > here. In our environment in the firm with Win7 only running on one
> > machine in the account office for the accounting programs and the rest
> > running on a Linux server with LTSP and thin clients, it would be quite
> > useful to have one of the Gambas programs for the Win7 machine. Now I
> > have to write programs for Win and Linux if I want access to data on the
> > server from both places.
> >
> > So I tried to use Virtual Box as a thin client, and it runs quite nice,
> > but then it pauses (and seems to wait for something) every two minutes
> > or so. This pausing lasts for 15 - 50 seconds, so the solution proved
> > unusable.
> >
> Rolf,
> I know a fair bit about running it the other way around (hereafter OWA),
> i.e. using VBox to host a windows OS on a Linux base, but not much about
> hosting a Linux OS on a Windows base.  But here goes.
> The first things I would look at are:
> 1) Is the VBox "Linux OS system drive (aka /)" local to the Windows
> machine or is it on the LAN?  I have seen something similar when I was
> running a set of alternate distros in VBox where their disk images were
> on a NFS server.  I couldn't understand why, now and then, "disk
> contention" seemed to occur.
> 2) Another OWA issue seems to be the virtlan0 network connection (or
> whatever it's called).  This seems to be an ongoing issue with VBox.
> It, in my opinion contends too much with the real network I/F's and low
> level things like arp. Unfortunately, I have not found a really solid
> solution and usually resort to killing the virtlan0 IF.  (Your mileage
> may vary.)
> 3) Make sure that the virtual machine has absolutely no swap.  In other
> words it should be able to run without any swap contention (otherwise
> you have it swapping into/outof it's "pretend" memory, then into/outof
> the hosting memory/swap and then, dog forbid, in and out of Microsoft's
> memory mismanagement system.

> In fact, this is where I would really be looking.  Make sure that the
> VBox is grabbing the maximum possible (I'll rephrase that, the MAXIMUM
> POSSIBLE) memory space on the host machine.  If the users complain that
> they cant VOIP their being-friend or can't google/face-tube/ubook etc
> while the accounting system batches are being posted then that is a
> problem that only they can solve.

> > In my case, a virtual machine as a thin client is not the only way.
> > There is a samba drive on the Linux server which serves the Windows, so
> > I could as well start a whole Linux in Virtual Box and access that drive
> > to fetch the data, but the terminal server is surely the more efficient
> [...]

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?