[Gambas-user] Load hidden file to variable?

sundar j sundar_ima at ...251...
Mon Apr 2 17:47:53 CEST 2012

Print Error is False for both if statement and file.load function. I have checked file permission and it is root. I think file permission is not an issue here since it does not even detect file. Also i have tested the same with other file (root permission) and it works perfectly. Again i need not have to edit the file.

From: "nando" <nando_f at ...951...>
Sent: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:56:06
To: sundar_ima at ...251..., mailing list for gambas users <gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Load hidden file to variable?
A hidden file IS hidden by default from normal views.

So, the result appears to be correct.

(Benoit: maybe a flag is needed for hidden files in call?)

Nevertheless, LOAD ought to work with hidden files too.

(Are your permissions correct)

Files extensions and associations are a windoze thing and don't matter in Linux.

...and it shouldn't make a difference either what the extension is.

Make sure your filename without an extension doesn't have a trailing dot

because it can make things tricky and work funny to the human point of view.

(especially coming from windoze world)

So, in Linux:

~/.applicationtempfile/.hiddendir/file

  is not the same as

~/.applicationtempfile/.hiddendir/file.   <==notice the trailing dot

but in some versions of windoze/DOS, the two are the same file.

It is especially true if you think the dot starts an extension (windoze)

or if you understand the dot is just another character in the filename (Linux)

Also, filenames and directories can be have spaces in their name.

So  'Hello .'  is a valid filename or directory name

and 'Hello . ' is valid too

and ' ' is also valid too

so is '                                             '  (45 spaces, all spaces)

How about this: (I'm doing this from memory..so it may be a little off on syntax)

TRY search = File.Load("~/.applicationtempfile/.hiddendir/file")

'and on the next line, print the error produced

PRINT Error.  <===put something from Error. statement to describe the exact error.

-Fernando