[Gambas-user] To wish list; optional compiler warning

Fabien Bodard gambas.fr at ...626...
Fri Sep 9 21:51:16 CEST 2011

yes like :

Private Function ModifyThat(byRef i as integer) as boolean

  i+=6*4

catch
  return true

end

to use it

if not Modifythat(ByRef iMyVal) Then Print iMyVal

sometime it can be usefull to catch the error in the calling function

2011/9/9 Jussi Lahtinen <jussi.lahtinen at ...626...>:
> After I read what Fabien wrote, I realised what you meant and I think you
> misunderstood my problem.
>
> My problem is *not *that I have to write byref to function declaration and
> to function call.
> My problem is that if I forget to write byref to function call, I will get
> silent bugs.
>
> I think either byfer should be mandatory to write to function call, or there
> should be warning from missing byref keyword.
>
> Jussi
>

> 2011/9/8 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>
>
>> > Hi!
>> > Quick thought; it would be nice to have compiler warning if "byref" is
>> > missing from function/sub call.
>> > I know using byref is optional, but so far I have only forgot to add it.
>> >
>> > Example:
>> >
>> > Private Sub Test(Byref x As Integer)
>> >
>> > And you can call it;
>> > Test(i)
>> > Or;
>> > Test(Byref i)
>> >

>> > Jussi
>>
>> By having to specify ByRef in the caller, you can't forget that the
>> function
>> will modify your variable (forgetting that leads to hard-to-fix bugs) and
>> it
>> help readers of your code.
>>
>> I added ByRef to Gambas only to help porting VB projects. In other cases,
>> just
>> don't use it, even if you find it more practical.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Benoît Minisini

Fabien Bodard