[Gambas-user] ARM debugging - where to start?

Joe Michael joem at ...2671...
Thu Sep 8 09:13:18 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 13:12 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an ARM based Genesi Smarttop unit which runs Ubuntu 10.10 and it
> > has Gambas version 2. When Gambas starts up gbx2 runs, consumes all
> > resources
> > in a big loop. If I start with it in command line, I get no output -
> > zip. No clues what
> > could be going on. I left a message in their forum
> > http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2042
> > but no response for some weeks now.
> >
> > So it looks like I have an excuse to go from being a big fan of Gambas
> > to an even
> > bigger fan and help debug  :-)
> >
> > Bearing in mind this is ARM platform, and I don't know first thing about
> > gamabas
> > development, what is the first things I should do?
> > Please be explicit with syntax for use of commands and parameters to be
> > sent
> > to get some debug messages and results, as I won't be able to
> > second guess what is being suggested.
> >
> > I am familiar with C (skill rating 9/10), C++ (4/10), using gambas
> > (8/10).
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > JM
> >

> Gambas 2 already runs some project on ARM, but two ARM computers are well-
> known to be very different!
>
> Go to the directory of the Gambas 2 project you want to run, and use the
> debugger. Hit CTRL+C to stop it when it loops, and send me the backtrace.
>
> $ cd /path/to/my/gambas/project
> $ gdb gbx2
> (gdb) run
> ^C
> (gdb) bt
>
> Please try to compile the latest version of gambas, and with debugging
> information enabled. Try to compile with and without optimization too, to see
> if something changes.
>
> Regards,

Results of running gdb:
-----------------------

~/code/gambas/app1$ gdb gbx2
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2-ubuntu
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show
copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-gnueabi".
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/gbx2...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/gbx2
^C
0x0001850a in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x0001850a in ?? ()
#1 0x0001ee68 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt
stack?)
(gdb)

[Will also try compiling gb3 as suggested over next few days to see if
it
adds any new information, and post results. Thnx.]