[Gambas-user] problems running component gb.net.smtp

robotop eficara at ...626...
Mon Sep 5 11:43:45 CEST 2011

Hello all, I'm playing with the gb.net.smtp component and there is something
strange in the behaviour. Almost all works fine, I can send my emails using
"text/plain", but sometimes, when I put dots '.' in the message, some of
those is preceeded (in the received email) by an equal sign '=' ; note: not
all dots, some are passed exactly how in the source text file. I monitored
the TCP packets with a net analyzer (ethereal) and there is no doubt, the
unwanted chars are introduced by the net.smtp component. It's something
involving the Mime encoding ? Has the "plain/text" some encoding rule for
ascii characters ? Actually, I'm thinking about writing my own smtp client,
but if you know why such extra chars are generated and how to solve the
problem, I will continue to use the original gb.net.smtp. My development
platform is Puppy Linux V4.3.1 and Gambas 2.2 . Thank you for your
attention.