[Gambas-user] Does gambas3 have the guts to make it?

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Oct 17 09:49:00 CEST 2011

Le 17/10/2011 09:23, Bruce Bruen a écrit :
> Well you may have noticed a little drop off in my bug reports lately.  I
> have just finished a little ETL exercise of a reasonable sized database
> (7.5million rows over 28 tables, heavily "foreign-keyed", postgresql 8.3
> backends on both sides).  It took me a few days longer than I thought it
> would because I tried some "major" linux ETL tools first.
>
> Of the three I tried, al were java based, two were free and open source
> and one was commercial licence linux (30day non-crippled trial).  One
> could not cope with any datatype stronger than an integer and insisted
> that all floating point numeric types have a scale of 1245678?????
> (Guess which one).  Of the two free ones, one just gave up and pointed
> it toes toward the sky on the first occurrence of more than 1000 rows in
> the transform set, the other is still going on a test machine (6 days
> now?).
>
>   So. I gave up.
>
> And did it myself.
>
> I would have done it in gb2 but I thought I'd just see how gb3 went.
> The job took 6 projects, 4 to build nice clean base tables (including
> one of 1.1M rows) and two to clean, transform, recode and load the
> dependent tables.  If we "excuse" the mistakes that I made in the DDL
> for the new database, which meant two re-runs, the whole development
> time was 14 hours and the elapsed time for the final run was 3hours and
> 12minutes.
>
> Nett result, 7.43million rows in new database in 16 tables.  (How can 5
> users create 70,000 junk records in a year? )
>
> I have now run the 60 odd test queries to prove the data is correct (26
> hours) with zero errors.
>
> So Benoît, I reckon gb3 definitely has got what it takes!  :-) :-) :-)
>
> Thanks a million, or in fact thanks 7.4million!
> regards
> Bruce
>
> p.s. No I don't use Ubuntu! :-)

Mmm, it seems to be a positive mail, doesn't it? :-) Maybe one more sign
that Gambas 3 release will come soon...

Anyway, I didn't understand everything: what is "ETL"? What are ETL
tools? What are their names?

--
Benoît Minisini