[Gambas-user] Issue 2 in gambas: No native gambas for Windows platforms

Thu Oct 6 07:26:45 CEST 2011

On 10/05/2011 06:06 PM, Dag-Jarle Johansen wrote:
> Hei, want to plug in on this discussion. by the way, "issue" is not
> particulary something negative, issue just means "case", but I know in the
> IT-world it*s mostly a case of a bug or a problem.
>
> I do not want Benoit to get sleepless nights, but it would be a masterpiece
> to get Gambas running under Windows. Running, not developing. Still MS has a
> world-part of over 80%, Max I don*t know, and the last what I saw, was Linux
> at 5%. So there is a lot to do, I ll do my part - sough - I just do know so
> little. If I have luck now, I will become a certain amount monthly, so I
> will not have to sell any more, in this case I will use all my time beeing a
> Gambas expert. But - for that your skillls are asked, to help me getting on.
> I am still too much the VB-programmer, and what hurts is the lack of the
> TYPE as in an array, beyond that I am not missing much. Back to MS - it is
> to concider what they are doing. My pa has a W7 here, they are flipping out,
> and since my last programmers attempts was on a XP, and not with .NET, I
> just skipped it, I do not know. The central registration must be horrible,
> already in XP they started to save accessed fields in the registry - with
> the 5 last used values. C+/+ is very fast reading textfiles, but if you have
> to do it all the time - the machine gets slow.
>
> Ok some of my thoughts,
> not very pragmatic, but I think we should know what we are handling with: 80
> to 5 % for example.Gambas could double that, it is the best piece of
> developing software near and far.

 From what I gather, getting GAMBAS to run on Windows proper would
require all dependencies to also work under Windows. Windows is also a
moving target but unlike Linux is largely backward-incompatible and
would require all kinds of hand-holding to get something working under
each Windows version. In other words, it would be an infinitely
labor-intensive mess. This is unfortunate, as I would like to see GAMBAS
work in Windows as well. The silver lining is that GAMBAS shows Windows
up; it embarrasses it and lets people know they can craft powerful and
robust programs using a different ecosystem entirely. Streamlined
virtualization under Windows is probably the best-case usage of GAMBAS,
using something like andLinux.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues