[Gambas-user] gb3: unable to compile on Debian Wheezy (testing)

doriano.blengino at ...1909... doriano.blengino at ...1909...
Wed Oct 5 12:20:59 CEST 2011

Bruce Bruen ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 01:19 -0400, Kevin Fishburne wrote:
>> Hopefully the Debian or Mint team will get this mess sorted out so gb3
>> can compile without hacks. Thanks for the help anyway, and for anyone
>> else who sees GNOME as the walking dead, I highly recommend Kubuntu or
>> any other well-supported KDE distribution. I should have done this a
>> long time ago.
>>

> I feel your pain but it has sparked my interest following both your and
> Demosthenes Koptsis posts. I think that there are a few issues here that
> I may be able to offer some helpful comments on.

Hi Bruce,

I liked your post, and your coloured english (especially those dinosaurs
starting to feel chilly) :-)

I totally agree with you - there are some standards and they should be
respected in the interest of all the community. In particular, given
that a libray in */lib (but the same is for include files and
executables in */bin) *cannot* be 32 bit and 64 bit at the same time, it
is clear that a file system is linked to the processor which uses it (at
least for the processor-dependent files). There are in fact special
directories for system-independent files.

If some mind-broken distributions want to kill simplicity by creating
unnecessary directories, they should use symlinks. Ok, they could forget
to set up them (this would be a "bug" for me).

That said, I would add that a user should know the bases for using his
computer. This means that if a user downloads some sources with svn and
compiles them, he should be able to interpret simple make's errors like
"file not found", without asking the author of the sources "why can't I
compile your software?". Reading documents and learning things is
satisfactory and good for any user. Lacking of doing this leads to think
that the guilty one is always someone else: the distribution, the
compiler, the author of the sources, the mailing lists giving wrong
advice and so on. There is too much people that press a button and
expect that everything goes well like magic and, if something goes
wrong, not even ask themselves what they could do to solve. Speaking
about computers, "magic" will be never possible...
No offence intended - I understand that the matter of compiling things
under *nix could be a good choice for a bestseller.

Marginally, I noted those complains about Debian and Gnome. Probably no
distributions are perfect, but surely Debian is one of the most
respectable - I simply love it because of its vision. By the way, KDE is
available in Debian. And about KDE, I just switched from it to Gnome
some months ago, and I don't regret. I never tried the latest Gnome, but
it is hard for me to think that it is only crap.

Regards,
Doriano