[Gambas-user] gb3: unable to compile on Debian Wheezy (testing)

Wed Oct 5 07:19:06 CEST 2011

On 10/02/2011 09:29 AM, Demosthenes Koptsis wrote:
> On my LMDE which i also had the first problem with the link library
>
> is
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' /usr/lib/libfreetype.la -lz
> -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libSDL.la'
>
> i was firstly had the problem with /usr/lib/libfreetype.la and made a
> symlink, but after that no other problem.
>
> Now i have a working Gambas3 on a Linux Mint Debian edition.
> I think Debian has some wrong paths for those libs.
>

> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 15:17 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>
>> Here is the line in my own libSDL_ttf.la that points at 'libfreetype.la':
>>
>> --8<---
>> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-
>> gnu/libfreetype.la -lz -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libSDL.la'
>> --8<---
>>
>> Compare with yours.
>>
>> Then fix your libSDL_ttf.la file, and recompile from scratch.

In the interest of getting work done and facing the future of desktop
environments, I came to a painful decision and have switched to Kubuntu
11.10. I decided that Debian Wheezy was insufficiently maintained for
stability and that GNOME had become a tragic dead end with the
abandonment of the 2.x branch and the pure crap that is the 3.x branch.
That left me with KDE and Xfce as my only options, and loving
customization and beauty I chose KDE.

Hopefully the Debian or Mint team will get this mess sorted out so gb3
can compile without hacks. Thanks for the help anyway, and for anyone
else who sees GNOME as the walking dead, I highly recommend Kubuntu or
any other well-supported KDE distribution. I should have done this a
long time ago.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues