[Gambas-user] gb3: unable to compile on Debian Wheezy (testing)

Sun Oct 2 08:11:58 CEST 2011

On 10/02/2011 01:30 AM, Kevin Fishburne wrote:
> I'd previously posted a message about having problems compiling and
> didn't get a response, but someone subsequently ran into the same (I
> think) problem which I believe they resolved. I'm getting the error:
>
> /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libfreetype.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libfreetype.la' is not a valid libtool archive
> make[4]: *** [gb.sdl.la] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> The solution had something to do with symlinking a file somewhere. Was
> an elegant solution ever devised to get it to compile properly? I can't
> remember whatever my brutal hack was to fix it (I reinstalled Debian
> recently)

Found the old thread and created a symlink from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.la to /usr/lib/libfreetype.la,
which gets me to this point:

/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/gb.sdl.lai': No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [install-gblibLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
gb.qt4: warning: unable to load Qt translation: en_US.utf8

If I remember correctly this is when I copied some files in one of the
source directories to some system directory, which somehow got it to
work. As I mentioned, I can't remember what I did and it was a terribly
sloppy hack.

Any idea what's going on here, as this is a really shitty way to get gb3
working in Debian Wheezy. gb3 runs at this point, but says gb.opengl
isn't available. Since this is a clean install I'm reluctant to start
copying files all over the place hoping it will run.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues