[Gambas-user] We live a dangerous life sometimes...

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri May 27 12:23:56 CEST 2011

> Am 26.05.2011 22:41, schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> >> Sometimes bad power cable connection does things like that, but maybe
> >> Benoit has already check those.
> >>
> >> Jussi
> >
> > I come back, with a new firmware.
> >
> > I have two SATA hard disks. The first one is the original one, and I had
> > no freeze with it. The second one, the WD Velociraptor, was added after.
> > When I got the freezes, I swapped the two cables, but it changed
> > nothing.
> >
> > Concretely, the drive stops between 1 and 2 mn each hour, making the
> > system unusable until it wakes up. Only the mouse and processes doing no
> > disk access work. Sometimes I have no freeze at all during a long time.
> >
> > For the SMART utility, there is no problem at all on the disk.
> >
> > I noticed that running Firefox help having the freezes. So I suspected
> > the kernel part of the nouveau driver. But I use the NVIDIA blob since a
> > few days, and I got the freezes too. They are just shorter (?)
> >
> > Then I found on the web someone that created a bootable CD with Windows
> > 98 that updates the firwares of my model (WD1500HLFS). On the web page,
> > some comments of a guy that describes the same problem as mine telling
> > that the update fixed it! So...
> >
> > Now, let's see if I will continue having freezes...
>
> Arrgh - if I had seen that earlier, I might have warned you it could be
> futile.
>
> Currently, there is a discussion between the kernel guys going on about
> this, it is due to a kernel module which was changed to make it fit for
> a special controller but it had this "side effect" on other controllers.
>
> I stumbled across this because I had the same problem on my laptop. In
> the Linux forum I use, someone pointed me to it as a possible solution.
>
> I used iotop to find the source of the writing activity, but to no
> avail. But tail -f /var/log/messages shows errors on SATA each time the
> system comes back. First I thought of the hardware, but that guy pointed
> me to this discussion:
>
> One Posting says that "device reported invalid CHS sector 0" could come
> from a kernel bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/397096
>
> The line: "device reported invalid CHS sector 0", seems to be an "off by
> one error" reported in
> http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/41773/ and fixed upstream, and not
> seen often "The bug isn't very visible because ata_tf_read_block() is
> used only when generating sense data for a failed RW command and CHS
> addressing isn't used too often these days.", Tejun Heo says.
>
> Then he said the problem might be in
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.6-0.5/drivers/ata/ahci.c
>
> which doesn't help me too much ;-)
>
> And he gives this URL
>
> http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/AHCI-driver-problem-SB700-SB800-Acer-Ferr
> ari--ftopict537147.html
>
> Now, what do you think? Could this be your problem, too? If so, I guess
> [...]

I don't think it is the same problem, as I didn't have any error message in
the kernel logs. The drive just froze during a minute, and the kernel just
seems to wait for it, without printing any message. The only error message I
got some nouveau driver belch.

At the moment, all seems to be fine (I cross my fingers...). I will go back to
the nouveau driver soon to see if freezes come again.

Benoît Minisini