[Gambas-user] We live a dangerous life sometimes...

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu May 26 22:41:55 CEST 2011

> Sometimes bad power cable connection does things like that, but maybe
> Benoit has already check those.
>
> Jussi

I come back, with a new firmware.

I have two SATA hard disks. The first one is the original one, and I had no
freeze with it. The second one, the WD Velociraptor, was added after. When I
got the freezes, I swapped the two cables, but it changed nothing.

Concretely, the drive stops between 1 and 2 mn each hour, making the system
unusable until it wakes up. Only the mouse and processes doing no disk access
work. Sometimes I have no freeze at all during a long time.

For the SMART utility, there is no problem at all on the disk.

I noticed that running Firefox help having the freezes. So I suspected the
kernel part of the nouveau driver. But I use the NVIDIA blob since a few days,
and I got the freezes too. They are just shorter (?)

Then I found on the web someone that created a bootable CD with Windows 98
that updates the firwares of my model (WD1500HLFS). On the web page, some
comments of a guy that describes the same problem as mine telling that the
update fixed it! So...

Now, let's see if I will continue having freezes...

--
Benoît Minisini