[Gambas-user] gb3: recent changes to PaintImage and DrawImage

Sun May 1 05:01:59 CEST 2011

On 04/30/2011 10:31 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:

> I'm not talking about making a 3D game engine. I'm just talking about using a
> few OpenGL commands to:
>
> - blend images on the screen.
> - rotate the game screen as you want.
>
> As far as I understood, while the player moves, you have to build the part of
> the world he will see.
>
> If you succeed in doing that with OpenGL, all the images will go to the
> graphic card, and so blending and rotating will be fast (and I think they are
> now supported by all free drivers).
>
> Otherwise you will never go faster than 18 FPS.

Does SDL even have a rotate function? I did some quick research and
found mixed results. Looks like there's something called SDL_gfx that
might do it (rotozoomer). If SDL flat-out isn't designed to do it, then
I perfectly understand the encouragement to implement OpenGL functions.
Seems strange though that SDL can't rotate a 2D bitmap efficiently in
hardware. Even the SNES could do that.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues