[Gambas-user] Gambasdoc.org hosting (wiki)

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Mar 30 20:27:24 CEST 2011

Hi, my name is Rob Kudla.  I've been providing hosting for the Gambas
wiki at gambasdoc.org for about 6 years.  The wiki needs a new host.

The Gambas wiki is currently running on a pre-2.0 release of Gambas,
because the operating system on which our host runs is too old for anything
newer to compile.  Benoit has been hamstrung by this limitation for a
couple of years now.  My company has had a new server ready to be put
online with a new local colocation provider for several years, but said
provider has been dragging their feet.  Even the replacement server may be
out of date by the time we finally get it online.  (Not looking for any
business advice here.  If all we wanted was web and mail hosting, we could
get that right now from a thousand different places.  We have additional
requirements.)

I myself haven't used Gambas for a project in several years.  Nearly all
the code I write is for web or mobile applications now.  My clients are
more interested in mobile and web apps than desktop apps, and I've done
more in Java than Gambas recently.  Until someone recently asked a question
about the Regexp component I wrote long ago, I didn't even have gambas2
installed on my main machine.

Given all that, is there anyone with web space on a host on which Benoit
can have shell access, capable of running current Gambas releases, and
would be willing to work with Benoit to get a copy of the wiki running
under Apache?  Once everything is working well, I'd transfer ownership of
the gambasdoc.org/.com domain names to Benoit.  Currently it takes about
300MB of disk space, mysql access and 2.4 million hits per month totaling
15GB of transfer (based on Apache logs; actual transfer should be less than
that).  While I can't speak for Benoit, I would prefer that it continue to
be ad-free, as it's always been.

If anyone can take this over, please let me and/or Benoit know.

Thanks
Rob