[Gambas-user] Removal of gb.db.firebird

Sat Mar 19 03:43:57 CET 2011

On 03/18/2011 10:30 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> On 03/18/2011 10:15 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry that I had to remove the gb.db.firebird component in Gambas 3,
>>> because the license of some its source files is not actually compatible
>>> with the General Public License.
>> Did you voice your concerns about incompatibility to the maintainers? I
>> have no personal stake in this; I didn't know what it was until a couple
>> of minutes ago, but it seems a shame if their variation on the license
>> makes it incompatible. Their license may affect them adversely in the
>> future if they don't change it.
> I don't know who to contact. I was just warned by a FSF guy about that. So I
> am removing it now for the release candidate. But I will add it back if the
> problem is fixed.

I just sent their foundation or whatever the following through their web
site:

will be removing the Firebird component from his programming language
due to concerns raised by an unknown (by me) associate of the Free
Software Foundation. Said associate stated that the Firebird license is
incompatible with the GPL, presumably version 2, but that he may add it
later if the issue has been corrected.

While I'm not suggesting any particular action be taken, I'd like to
make you aware of the incident. I've sent a copy of this email to the
mailing list so that Benoît and users of GAMBAS are aware.

Please feel free to contact him about this matter in the mailing list
gambas at ...52...

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues