[Gambas-user] Application_Read does react only once

Tue Mar 1 15:36:59 CET 2011

Hi folks,

This is a small project I have been circling around for about a year or
so. It would be a simple command line application that waits for and
evaluates every keystroke you make.

Some of you were so kind to point me to Application_Read to achieve
that, but I found it only gives one single keystroke (a Return) and
(seamingly) is never called again. To make things short, this is the
core of my application so far:

' Gambas module file

PRIVATE txt AS String

PUBLIC SUB Main()

END

PUBLIC SUB Application_Read()
DIM t$ AS String

   PRINT "hello world" 'this is just debug code

   READ #LAST, t$, -256

     IF t$ <> "" THEN
       PRINT t$ & " : ";
     END IF

     txt = txt & t$

     PRINT "keys are:" & txt;

     txt = ""

END

So, why does "hello world" only appear one single time (after a first
Return), and why will I never read " : " but only the letters of the
keys pressed?

On my machine, the whole thing runs within "Konsole" on a graphical
screen, but I think that will not really make a difference, will it?

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Rolf