[Gambas-user] gb3: sorting an array-like structure

Thu Jun 30 06:10:54 CEST 2011

On 05/24/2011 02:37 PM, Matti wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> this sorting problem is (at least to me) still unsolved.
> I gave up and used a lousy workaround, reading the 2-dim array into a 1-dim
> string array like "field1/field2", then sorting this and reading the fields
> backward again.
> See Examples/Image/Lighttable, the sorting subs.
> Works ok with a few hundred pictures (tested up to 1200), but for your amount of
> data it sure will be not practicable.
>
> If somebody knows a solution, I would be glad, too.

Sweet Jesus, this is the sort of thing that makes me want to blow up my
house and run down the street naked looking for someone's ass to kick.
Now that that's said, what's up with this (attachment)?

I finally got around to trying to sort graphical objects by their y
coordinate so they'd overlap properly, but it seems even with extensive
jerry-rigging I still need to implement more of it. I think I need to
offset the whole batch of numbers before I sort so they're either
positive or negative, then offset them back after sorting to get the
original values. Hacking is all good and well, but for a language as
advanced and robust as gb there should be a better option. I know I'm
looking a gift horse in the mouth by complaining, but sometimes when my
hair catches fire I have to say something about it.

Sorry. Now to hack together a solution so I can see if my new rendering
method works. :)

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues