[Gambas-user] Checking whether a file exists

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jul 17 13:02:40 CEST 2011

> hi,
>
> in a project, i am searching directories recursively and opening files
> to search their content, too.
> while searching in the gambas2 sources my program crashed with "File or
> directory doesn't exist". so i noticed this one
>
> ? sFile
> ".../main/ltmain.sh"
> ? Exist(sFile)
> True
> ? File.Load(sFile)
> File or directory does not exist
>
> this is because the file is a symlink to another file that doesn't exist
> (maybe because i haven't compiled gambas2 from sources yet), so Exist
> says the file is there but when opening it, the symlink is resolved and
> there is an error.
> this may be irritating.
>
> developers, do you think it's necessary to do something here? (maybe
> Exist(sPath AS String, bFollowSymlinks AS Boolean) ?)
>
> regards,
> tobi

Hi,

In revision #3940, I have added an extra optional parameter to the Exist()
function, to tell it if symbolic links must be followed or not.

It is backward compatible with the old syntax.

Benoît Minisini