[Gambas-user] restarting a gambas application

Fri Jul 15 22:28:22 CEST 2011

On 07/15/2011 01:40 PM, zachsmith022 at ...626... wrote:

> Does anyone know how to automatically close and restart a running gambas
> program?
>
> For example, if I have a program update available, I'd like to click a
> button in my program ("Install/Run update") that would start an
> intermediate program that would stop my program, then the intermediate
> program would overwrite the main program with an upgraded version, then
> it would start the upgraded program, and then the intermediate program
> would quit.  The problem is that by using the shell or exec commands a
> child process is created and the parent app. never quits.
>
> The thing I'm looking for would be somewhat similar to what happens when
> you run xfrun4 in Xfce.  There, you press Alt+F2 to bring up a command
> entry box, it then starts the program you have typed in and then xfrun4
> quits.  There are no remaining parent/child issues.

If there's not a native way to do it, you could have a "loader" program
start the main program. When the main program terminates, control would
be returned to the loader program, which would check an update directory
for an update. If it finds one it would overwrite the main program with
the update, delete the update, then re-run the main program. If not it
would just exit normally. I'm going to need to do this myself at some
point with my application.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues