[Gambas-user] Database not working to select records, but fields/tables identified

Caveat Gambas at ...1950...
Fri Jul 1 02:37:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to get database access to an ODBC datasource (have been
trying for a few days now).

I have the simplest Access (.mdb) database in the world: one table
called people, with an id, a first name, a last name, and a phone
number.  There is no password on the database.  I can see data in the
people table if I use MDB Viewer (i.e. the table 'people' is NOT
empty!).

Thanks to a tip from Ricardo, I have gotten as far as a good connection,
can see the ResultFields in the Result as expected (4 of them, with the
expected column names), I get the appropriate error if I deliberately
choose an invalid tablename (like persons for e.g.)... all good...
but...

I can't seem to get any kind of actual results in my result set,
Result.Available seems to always be False although I know there's data
in the table.

This is also the case if I run the Database example in Gambas3, so I'm
guessing it's not just my shoddy coding lol

Here's the code I used (but note **it doesn't work** with the Database
example either!):

Public Sub tryNewDB()

  Dim conn As Connection
  Dim res As Result
  Dim sql As String
  Dim resF As ResultField
  conn = Connections["NEWDB"]
  conn.Open
  sql = "select * from people"
  res = conn.Exec(sql)
  For Each resF In res.Fields
    Print "Found field: " & resF.Name
  Next
  Print "Result Count: " & res.Count
  res.MoveFirst
  Print "Available? " & boolToString(res.Available)
  While res.Available
    res.MoveNext
    Print "Field1: " & res["Field1"]
  Wend

End

Private Function boolToString(value As Boolean) As String

  If value Then
    Return "True"
  Endif
  Return "False"

End

************ result ***********
Found field: ID
Found field: Field1
Found field: Field2
Found field: Field3
Result Count: 0
Available? False

Many thanks in advance for any new pointers...

Regards,
Caveat