[Gambas-user] Gambas API options

John Spikowski support at ...2529...
Thu Jan 20 05:43:13 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 02:30 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > Does Gambas provide a API other languages can access? (shared object) I
> > would like to create the framework for an application in Gambas and
> > interface with it with ScriptBasic. The .so libraries I did peek at
> > didn't seem to have anything useful exported.
> >

> > The following link will show a few examples of scripting libraries and
> > embedding.
> >
> > http://www.scriptbasic.org/forum/index.php/topic,211.0.html
> >
> > John
> >

> What do you want to do ?
>
> Call a ScriptBasic program from a Gambas program?
>
> Or call a Gambas program from a ScriptBasic program?

Actually both.

By default, ScriptBasic is an embeddable scripting engine API based on
traditional Basic. Even though written to ANSI C standards, it has an
object API interface. The link I posted show an example of ScriptBasic
embedding into itself. The distribution comes with a command line
interpreter and multi-threaded web server as examples of using the
ScriptBasic API.

My hope is that Gambas has an open interface to it's components that
other (scripting) languages can access and share. I was encouraged when
the term "extensions to the interpreter" was mentioned.

I looked at a few of the shared objects (components) Gambas uses and it
didn't seem that any useful functions were exported.

BTW: The scripter is a nice feature and like using ScriptBasic's console
mode interpreter.