[Gambas-user] [Fwd: Gambas3 Pointers example] signal #6

Ian Haywood ihaywood at ...1979...
Mon Jan 17 12:00:26 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Demosthenes Koptsis
<demosthenesk at ...626...> wrote:

> Benoit sorry if you feel that i discuss C++ cases in a Gambas list but i
> try to describe some cases of pointers and the usage of them in Gambas.
IMHO the issue is C pointers aren't an easy topic and good conceptual
understanding
is important. Anyone who contemplates interfacing with a C API using
pointers would need to sit down and read a standard C textbook to get a proper
understanding: it's not something where you can give a few "quick tips" in a
Gambas manual and then people can actually go away and use them.
Similarly I can see how it's hard for Benoit and others to answer your questions
without launching into a ten-page tutorial on C pointers.

More importantly they have no other use in the language, so there's no point
learning about gambas pointers unless you are prepared to learn C anyway.

My advice would be to make a choice:
1. sit down and learn basic C and how to use C pointers, then come
back to this problem
2. leave Gambas pointers alone and concentrate on other sections

Ian