[Gambas-user] Sig 11 with menu items remains

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Mon Jan 3 03:15:00 CET 2011

On Monday 03 January 2011 10:20:30 Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > Hi Benoit/List:
> >

> > A reminder prior to the release that that annoying Sig11 bug remains with
> > the menu items, you'll remember I tried to use valgrind with it some time
> > ago without success and I think the suggestion was that maybe it is
> > related to a QT4 bug.
> >
> > Maybe someone else on the list is aware of this or can help.
> >
> > I've emailed Ian, who is much more switched on than me about computing to
> > see if he can liase with you on this.
> >
> > Also lately I've been getting some Sig11 with Result objects, not sure
> > why, just to let you know they exist, I'll try and track these down.
>
> If you want to help tracking these bugs, compile Gambas with optimizations
> disabled (run 'make "CFLAGS=-O0 -g" "CXXFLAGS=-O0 -g"' instead of just
> 'make'), and enable core dumps. Then, as soon as you get a crash, a core
>  file will be generated, and by using gdb on it, you will get a backtrace
>  of the crash you can send me.
>
> > Another thing -  at some point before you release, any chance of
> > re-debating the spacing property, which as you know used to be in pixels,
> > but now somehow relates to something else which I find a major pain, as
> > it was wonderful to be able to space once controls by 1 pixel, which no
> > isn't possible.
>
> I think you are annoyed because your GUI is maybe too cluttered, aren't
>  you?

It's difficult with a medical application as the amount of information needed on
the screen is often massive and one thing we have avoided is having
heirachical popup modal windows to enter/view information and by in large have
succeeded pretty well, however we often deal with complex forms.

> :-)
>
> I don't want to remove the current Spacing property. But I could add the
>  old one if someone find a good name for it. I have already used "Margin",
>  "Padding, and "Spacing". Internally, the old spacing property is there.
>  It's just a matter of finding a good name!

PROPERTY Spacing AS Boolean
Returns or sets the number of pixels that separates children controls.
if there is popup help it will explain that spacing is in pixels

However from within gambas there is no way of defining this.

If spacing is pulled from the system, couldn't you just display the default
spacing as an integer, but allow the user to type over it with another integer
value?

Regards

Richard