[Gambas-user] Release of Gambas 3

Fabián Flores Vadell fabianfloresvadell at ...626...
Wed Dec 28 20:40:31 CET 2011

> Then the Gambas part of gb.desktop needs to implement some freedesktop
> protocols, especially the *.desktop file format that allows to make a
> startup menu.

> As for features, I want to start with the simplest possible at the
> beginning:

> - A panel with task buttons, virtual desktop buttons, startup menu,
> system tray.
> - Some little widgets to display the hour, the network state (how?),
> program startup icons...
> - An integrated file manager (like explorer in windows 95).
> - A background image.
> - Desktop icons?

I agree.

> The interesting part IMHO is that all these things will be integrated in
> the same Gambas executable, so things will start fast. I'm fed up with
> waiting for KDE4 to start. :-)

Yep.

> And I want a file manager that DOES NOT save its view configuration
> INSIDE the viewed directory - One of the most stupid things I've ever
seen!

I think that libfm could be used, but a wrapper could be needed to expose
its functionality in a object oriented way. So, a fronted in Gambas would
be the only missing part.

> Of course we need a window manager too. I don't know if we can make one
> directly in Gambas. I think some more X11 features are needed in
> gb.desktop. Or maybe by taken an already existing wm, and patching it to
> make its configuration screen in Gambas?

>From my point of view a WM is a complex piece of software, and is would be
easier borrow one.

There are plenty to choose, I like openbox because sometimes I use LXDE to
get the max speed from my hardware.

But a complete gb.Desktop component providing the features needed to make
complex X11 software may be a killer feature.

Regards.