[Gambas-user] Big Gambas3 slowdown on hex edit / compare program

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Dec 15 05:50:11 CET 2011

Le 15/12/2011 03:42, Benoît Minisini a écrit :
> Le 15/12/2011 01:19, Caveat a écrit :
>> Benoit,
>>
>> I decided to test against qt and gtk+ by selecting them manually from
>> the Project Properties, Components.
>>
>> If I select gb.qt4, the '4k GUI' builds in just 3 seconds! The '1k GUI'
>> takes less than 1/2 a second.
>>
>> With gb.gtk+ (or gb.gui which is auto-selecting gtk+ afaict), the same
>> '4k GUI' takes 1.5 minutes to build.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Caveat
>>

> Then maybe the problem is in the gb.gtk code, as I didn't wrote all of
> it... I will take a look.
>
> And I don't think that John wanted to be rude or sarcastic at all: I had
> the same reaction when I saw the 8000+ textboxes.
>
> It is something I didn't dare to do (even with qt) without expecting an
> explosion somewhere. :-)

OK: the GTK+ functions that modify control colors and fonts are slow,
and become slower as the number of created controls grows. So I now call
them only if really necessary in revision #4278.

If you try it, you will get a great speed up.

Benoît Minisini