[Gambas-user] CGI programming example

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Sun Dec 4 02:10:19 CET 2011

Hi Keith,

I am writing what started out as a small tutorial on Gambas3 and has turned
into a book. CGI is one of my topics that I will be covering. I haven't
started that section yet but I can expedite it for you. Or perhaps you'd
like to collaborate on this section?... I am an old programmer but fairly
new to Gambas so I too am learning and wanted to share what I have learned
with others... While some disagree with me, I find the documentation on
Gambas lacking... So I decided to create the tutorial. It will be released
Creative Commons in PDF and in Print on Lulu.com for a fee to cover
printing.

The books is divided into three major sections:

Section 1: Learning to Program -- Lessons on programming in general. While
mostly procedural in nature, I cover very basic topics like data types and
sizes, what a program is, etc... This section is aimed to be used in an
instructional format for someone who has no or little programming
experience.

Section 2: Basic Programming and The Gambas3 Basic Language. Covers more
advanced topics like string manipulation, math functions, GUI applications
etc...

section 3: Advanced Gambas Programming: Covers advanced topics like CGI,
graphics, OpenGL, Scientific computing, Using external libraries to extend
Gambas, etc...

I currently have about 350 pages that I am sure can be condensed down
considerably, once edited.

So if you have any thoughts or an idea for CGI applications let me know. It
is possible and I have done CGI apps in C and C++. Gambas is just another
language that with it's Basic Syntax should make it easier to write cgi
apps.

Randy

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 3:50 PM, John Spikowski <support at ...2529...>wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 18:09 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:
> > Has anyone written an example/tutorial of CGI programming with Gambas?
> > Any links for me to read?
>
> Why Gambas for GCI programming? How do you plan to handle sessions
> variables in Gambas when running as a CGI application?
>
> Have you tried any of the traditional web scripting languages like
> Python, php, Perl or ScriptBasic?

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?