[Gambas-user] Something ain't right. Still trying to control VLC.

Stephen Bungay sbungay at ...981...
Wed Aug 31 03:30:29 CEST 2011

Please forgive my rambling here... but if anyone can explain these
results I'd really like to hear from them.

Consistently getting Inconsistent results... which is consistency..
ARRRGGGGHHHH!

Send command strings to the stream that is a virtual console and maybe
they will work, maybe they won't.
Sometimes the ^M after the command string is the only thing visible in
the console window, sometimes nothing is seen and it works (after a few
seconds).  sometimes the ^J is seen. If the ^M is seen with the command
string VLC will be ignoring that command.... the next command string
sent will result in an error from VLC that it does not recognize the
command. Almost sounds like a boundry issue somehow.

   When it does work reliably it always takes the same amount of time to
respond/react, but the amount of time varies per session. For example,
launch the app, embed VLC, click pause. Count the number of seconds (yes
seconds) it takes to respond. If it is successful and took 3 seconds to
respond then every command sent will be successful and take 3 seconds to
get processed. If it took 6 seconds then every command takes 6 seconds..
perhaps there is a clue in there somewhere... I have never seen it take
a non-multiple of three to react.

   Now I don't know if this is a VLC issue or a GAMBAS issue, it SHOULD
work the same as typing the commands in at a console window but it
doesn't, so what is the difference and why? Can anyone shed any light on
this erratic behaviour? What is the difference between typing at a
console and sending output to a stream that is a virtual console?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Steve.