[Gambas-user] keyboard navigation of combobox

Bruce Bruen bbruen at ...2308...
Tue Aug 30 15:26:55 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 14:36 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:

> > On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 20:53 +0930, Bruce Bruen wrote:
> > > stuff about space bars
> >
> > But I want to ask a question.  There appears to me these days that I'm
> > getting a psychological dislike of buttonless pop-ups.  In many
> > application these days you are presented with a pop-up that asks a
> > reasonable question, you input a reply but the only option you have is to
> > close [x] the popup.  I'm asking because gambas3 has some of these and
> > from a usability point of view (or more correctly from a stimulus/response
> > point of view) I <underline/bold/emphasis> don't particularly like it.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm old fashioned (perhaps I'm just old), but I'm used to the
> > edit/[commit|cancel] model of gui.  I get a feeling of uncertainty
> > whenever I have to click on the [x] button in order to save something.
> > Further, there is no way to "uncommit" to a change.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong here.  There are instances in gambas3 where this
> > happens, but there are many more instances out there that are just
> > reinforcing the negative feeling I'm getting.Maybe I'm just used to
> > filling in government forms in pencil, checking them twice and using an
> > eraser before commiting myself.
> >
> > But as I say, I'm asking a question.
> > How do others feel?
> >
> > Bruce
> >

> Can you be more precise? Which dialog box or window you are talking about for
> example...

Preferences in particular, but the Project Properties tabs sometimes
confuse me, especially the Environment page.  If you flick between a few
of the Project Properties tabs, make a new Argument entry say, then go
back to the general tab, change the description, change your mind and
then click cancel. Did the argument save? No it didn't.  Which is
correct.  But sometimes this is confusing.  Do you get what I'm saying?
Back to Preferences, there is (at least here) no "Commit" or "Cancel" at
all.  Not only that, but changes to some aspects are comitted without
question.
But Benoit, as I said this is a general question about feelings, not a
complaint at all.
Bruce